Hi Scout Leader,
Welcome to the Heart of Virginia Council Wood Badge 2016 Course! Wood Badge has been around since 1919 and is considered the pinnacle in training for scout leaders. By participating in Wood Badge, you will have FUN, make new friends, eat well (a scout requirement) and learn new scout/leadership skills that will make you the best possible leader for the scouts in your unit. I am honored and thrilled to serve as the course director/scoutmaster for the 2016 Wood Badge course.
In advance of the course, I wanted to share with you some of my scouting and personal background.
I began my scouting career as a youth in Greensboro, NC with Troop 203. I earned my Eagle Scout, was elected to the Order of the Arrow, served as Senior Patrol Leader, went to Philmont and spent 150 nights in a tent camping (my favorite scout activity) at various scout events.
As an adult, I became a scout leader in 1995 when my two sons joined cub scouts. Since then I have served Scouting in the following roles:
- Assistant Scoutmaster Troop 715 (1997- present) – Over 150 camping trips including several 50 mile backpacking treks on the Appalachian Trail and 10 day canoe trip on the Allegash Waterway in Maine.
- Cardinal District Committee (2005 – present)
- Cardinal District Program Chairman (2006 – 2014)
- Cardinal District Training Staff (2009 – present)
- Heart of Virginia Council Board (2013 – present)
- Heart of Virginia Council Program Committee (2010 -present)
- Heart of Virginia Council Golf Committee which runs the Tournament of Eagle Golf Fund Raiser (2010 – present)
- 2013 Heart of Virginia Council Encampment Event Chairman
- 2007 Heart of Virginia Council Encampment Program Chairman
- Patrick Henry Public Speaking and Communication MB Instructor (2005 – present)
- Organized and ran the first golf merit badge station at the 2010 National Jamboree (over 1000 scouts earned golf merit badge)
- Brotherhood member of the Order of the Arrow, Nawakwa Lodge
I earned my Wood Badge in 2005 at Course SR-677. I have served on the wood badge staff in the following roles:
- SR-809 in 2007 as a Troop Guide
- S7-602-11-1 in 2011 as Assistant Scoutmaster – Facilities and Support (Stuff)
- S7-602-13 in 2013 as Assistant Scoutmaster – Facilities and Support (Stuff)
I have received several scout recognitions including Silver Beaver and District Award of Merit, but I am most proud of spending 575 nights camping with the Boy Scouts (I have a very supportive wife).
Outside of Scouting, I have been married for 34 years to Forrest Hughes. We have two sons (Charles and Bobby who are both Eagle Scouts), a daughter (Dorothy), a daughter in law (Lauren) and a grandson (Alex). I have an undergraduate degree from the University of Richmond and a masters degree from the University of North Carolina Greensboro. I am a member of Three Chopt Presbyterian Church where I serve on the Stewardship, Building & Grounds and Youth/Family committees. I work for Labcorp Specialty Testing Group. I served as President and on the board of the Richmond Golf Association for four years and serve as tournament director of the City of Richmond Junior Golf Championship (2006 – present). In 2010, I founded the City of Richmond Junior Girls Golf Championship and still serve as the tournament director.
The Wood Badge 2016 staff and I look forward to meeting you at Wood Badge and getting to know you. We will do our very best to make Wood Badge 2016 the best possible experience for you and the other participants!
See you at Wood Badge!
Yours in Scouting,
Course Director Wood Badge 2016